Thursday, August 25, 2005

Here it comes. . .

Today's the day. I put everything away or recycled it since Tuesday after I performed miserably on the second practice exam. Not on the math section. What is it with my head and math? Whatever. But wow, the verbal. That was bad. Anyway, I have spent a day and a half trying not to think about it, but whether I wanted it or not, words like "incipient" and "vituperate" have been floating around in my head, trying to make me remember what the hell they mean. Seriously, does knowing words that are only used by those who want to look like they know everying really measure intelligence? No. All it measures is how hard you try to make yourself look smarter than you are. That's what I think, but then, what do I know? Anyway, I will run and eat oatmeal and then take a 3 hour and 15 minute (i think) test and then after that eat delicious food with my husband and brother-in-law who's been in Europe for the past year and then we'll go out and maybe watch a movie and have a great time. So how important REALLY is this test? Hmmm, maybe if I wanted to get a Master's in Journalism or something, but Spanish doesn't need words like "insipid" and "harangue" because their language is already so ambiguous and metaphorical that one of their words has about 12 different meanings (or more). So, I'll go take your stupid 115 dollar test and then I'll show students a world they never could have seen before. Because to know the words "incipient" and "vituperate" and "insipid" and "harangue" is not to see a new world, but saber otras lenguas es conocer otros mundos. Joder.

2 comments:

nrlaumei said...

Good for you. and Good luck! =)

Laura said...

Thanks, Natasha, or, Natasjia, whatever you prefer, I'll be drunk with love and sweet red wine tonight either way. :)

Love in the sense that I'll love the people I'm with and what I'm doing and what I do. No other sense at all.