Thursday, August 25, 2005

Imagination--everything

So I bought a few books for class. I have been so curious about linguistics that I had to open that book up. I can't stop reading it. Class doesn't start until Tuesday. I'm on Chapter 4. I'm really not this nerdy. I swear!
Here's my favorite part so far:
"Nothing can be left to the imagination, though, because the internal representations are the imagination."

Take that for what it's worth.

Language really is fascinating. The way he expresses his ideas in this book is, for me, so comprehinsible, because I know what he is talking about. I can't explain it with my mother tongue, because I can't figure out the words or the correct patterns of the words to do so. I just have to know it as an experience. It is so strange how restricting and liberating language can be.

By the way, the book, by Steven Pinker, is called The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language

1 comment:

Berne said...

I have that book...from The English Language class w/ Nancy Michael